Thursday, February 21, 2013

Things I Haven't Done

This blog is about reading, writing, and blogging--and over the last two internetless weeks, I've barely done anything of the sort. That's pretty sad really, given that the lack of internet distraction should have provided ample time to get all of those things done. Alas, I did play a lot of board games, worked extra hours, and rolled about on the floor attempting to make amusing my internetless existence.

I DIDN'T READ, at least not very efficiently, largely because every book I pulled off the shelf turned out to be rather boring, actually. I keep having problems with this: I get a book from the library/bookfest/wherever and think it's going to be awesome, and then I start reading and I want to fall asleep. If I can struggle through one of them I'll put a review up, but it's hard to put my finger on exactly what I don't like about them... I guess the action isn't moving fast enough, or I just don't like the characters. Either way, I was never excited to start reading, with the result that my biggest reading time--right before bed--was mostly spent sleeping instead.

However, we did just stop at a discount bookstore in the city, which didn't have a lot of selection but DID have a book called Seraphina, which caught my eye because I was pretty sure I'd added it as "to-read" on Goodreads some time before (I was right). Slipping into this book was like breathing for the first time after all those duds, so I can happily report that there will be a review--and quite a favorable one, if the first 50 pages are any indication--quite soon.

I DIDN'T WRITE because, in terms of blog posts, I had so little to write about and no Google to find some topics (that is the lamest thing that has ever come out of my mouth--er, fingertips?). In terms of story, I did do a bit more planning on my new project, through chapter five. I'd love to start writing it but I'm trying to make myself wait until I have a middle and an end planned out or this one will go the way of just about every other story I've started--the recycling bin. I did ad a stunning number of mini-conversations between characters to OneNote, but I'm not sure if that counts.

I DIDN'T TRAVEL nearly as much as I wanted to with Emily and Sarah here and all--it was raining, again we were internetless so once we reached the bounds of my knowledge we were without travel sites telling us where to go (so why didn't you just go to the tourist information centre like a normal person, you ask. Not entirely sure.) We did get out and about a few days, going to Shorncliffe on Wednesday, which I suppose I could write up a post about and probably will if I don't come up with anything else that's interesting.

So--there you have it. My confessions. And from this day forward, as long as I have internet, I solemnly swear to return to my writing of blog posts every day, so help me spatulas.

No comments:

Post a Comment