Monday, February 4, 2013

Books My Future Children Will Be Reading

I keep coming across lists of books that "kids must read" on Pinterest, and while I agree with a lot of the titles on those lists, a lot of them also include all kinds of classics that I just don't deem necessary to a fun, imaginative book-reading experience. I know, I know... call me a failed English major. But I didn't read many--any, really--classics as a young child. Maybe I should have. But my parents let me pick up whatever I wanted to read. That's what I intend to do with my children, too--despite the title of this post sounding a bit more demanding. I turned out okay feeding off the words of some of my favorite fantasy authors. These are the books I think my children should read if they follow in my fantasy-loving footsteps... (note: not everything is completely fantasy, but has sparked such childlike wonder in my memory that I thought they deserved a place on the list).


  1. Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
  2. His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
  3. Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce
  4. Immortals by Tamora Pierce
  5. Protector of the Small by Tamora Pierce
  6. The Chronicles of Chrestomanci by Diana Wynne Jones
  7. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
  8. Tale of Time City by Diana Wynne Jones
  9. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
  10. The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
  11. The Harper Hall trilogy by Ane McCaffrey
  12. So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane
  13. Island of the Aunts by Eva Ibbotson
  14. The Secret of Platform 13 by Eva Ibbotson
  15. Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson
  16. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
  17. The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop
  18. The Last of the Really Great Wangdoodles by Julie Andrews
  19. East by Edith Pattou
  20. The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine
  21. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
  22. The Magician's House Quartet by William Corlett
  23. Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright
Do you have any titles that you'd like your future children to read (or that you'll be reading to your future children)? Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment