Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The E-Reader Experiment and a plea for books

I don't own an e-reader and generally I think about them as a lesser entity, not worthy of bearing the words of perfectly legitimate books. I know my opinion is pretty extreme, and I'm sure there are plenty of reasons for e-readers (travel being one of them). But, other than reading a few pages of a book I didn't like on Cal's e-reader, I decided I should probably attempt a full book so that my opinion can be justified (or, I mean, refuted. That could happen too. Maybe).

Thus: A Stranger to Command by Sherwood Smith.

Crown Duel is one of my favorite books, largely because of Vidanric, so a book all about Vidanric is going to be awesome, right? What better way to attempt to like e-readers than this?

Firstly, it was really hard to find a book. Mostly I've just been having book-finding problems all around--books I want to read, availability at the library/in this country, and then books that were actually available in e-book format. But I've wanted to read this one for a long time.

The point being, I will update you all on this experiment over the next few days. I hope to emerge with a better opinion, but right now I just don't see the point of not having a book in my hand. Please feel free to list reasons why I should like e-readers below.

ALSO, if you could PLEASE give me some book recommendations, I would love you forever! As you can probably see from reviews, my very favorite books are YA fantasy--usually historical, "sword and sorcery" in nature. However, I would be open to anything if you think it's awesome.

2 comments:

  1. If you still have any bank accounts in the US, you should still be able to purchase things that are unavailable to Australian customers. What type of e-reader is it? If it's not a Nook or Kindle, I recommend using Kobo to shop for books. They've got a good selection and good prices. And, if you decide that ebooks are for you, you have to download calibre to manage them. It's free. It's like iTunes for books, only better. Much better.

    Lastly, how did I miss hearing that there's an entire book about Vidanric???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Grace! I might need to borrow your e-reader knowledge in a few weeks as I look into getting my own. I'm using a Kindle at the moment (the original, no-fuss one) and I'm getting a bit irritated with some things about it, which will be in a different post at some point.

    Secondly: if you haven't started already, I recommend reading "Senrid" before "A Stranger to Command." At least, I think that's where you should start... I tried looking up a timeline and got so confused. But I'm getting a bit turned around reading "A Stranger to Command" because of references to previous books which I haven't read. Apparently there's a whole great wide world out there, and Crown Duel plays only a small part.

    ReplyDelete