Thursday, February 14, 2013

Book Review: Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore

Nimira isn't expecting to be hired by Mr. Hollin Parry to accompany a piano-playing automaton, but she jumps at the offer. Rumors abound that the automaton is haunted, but Nimira is willing to take the chance if it means higher pay and a better living situation than her current one. The moment she's alone with the automaton, he comes to life and informs her that he is the spirit of a fairy prince, trapped in the automaton's body. Soon, she and her employer are wrapped up in quest to save the fairy realm--a quest that risks their very lives.

Okay, so I mostly paraphrased the back of the book--but it's a good summary. This book wasn't quite what I expected, but I've wanted to read it for a very long time. It's one of those books that I saw as soon as it was released, thought I should get it, but then someone else reviewed it for the bookstore website before I could and I needed to review other books, so it got pushed to the end of the pile. Needless to say, when I found this in the library a few days ago, I was quite pleased!

The book was much lighter and fun than I thought it would be--it only took me a few hours to finish it. That said, it wasn't a waste of time by any means. I was caught up in Nimira's adventures, excited to learn about the automaton, charmed and beguiled by Mr. Hollin Parry (who confused me greatly when his name was used in the possessive), wishing for the fairy prince to be restored to his real body--and disappointed when the story ended, though I'm happy to say I'm going to reserve a copy of the sequel at the library after I post this.

A few of the twists I saw long before Nimira did, but I tend to, so I wasn't too disappointed. The story was fresh and different, played out by characters who were interesting and filled with their own secrets and history, in a world with magic and fairies and unicorns.

This review is quite short... but the book was relatively short (225 pages) compared to most things I read, too. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, entertaining read.

No comments:

Post a Comment